Year 1 Physical Education
At the beginning of the term the children will be able to:
- take part in a fitness circuit confidently.
- show an understanding of the correct technique used for throwing and catching a ball accurately. Following this they will then show an understanding of the basic rolling technique as well dribbling the ball with their feet using tick-tocks for control.
- At the end of the half term they will be able to show a good understanding of using different movements when travelling around an area with equipment set out as obstacles.
- To be able to explore basic stepping as a travelling skill for gymnastics.
- To be able to learn and understand how to perform a shoulder roll.
- To be able to learn understand how to perform basic movement skills involving Large Body Part Balances.
- To be able to perform a number of large body part balances, both on the floor and small apparatus.
- To be able to learn about how to build a gymnastic sequence.
- To be able to learn to travel ‘towards’ and travel ‘away from’ a balance and a roll.
Net and Wall
At the beginning of the term the children will be able to take part in a fitness circuit confidently showing an understanding of the techniques used.
- To be able to throw a ball to a partner correctly and with accurately. To be able to move around with the ball using your hands keeping it under control. To be able to use a tennis racket to move a tennis ball around the playground. To be able to perform a variety of skills using a tennis racket.
- To be able to explore how to handle to the ball in the air and on the floor.
- To be able to understand that the game of volleyball is played in the air.
- To be able to play shots to keep the ball in the air.
- To be able to learn how to dodge out of the way.
- To be able to throw the ball at a target.
- To be able to play a small sided game of dodgeball.
Physical Literacy 2
- To be able to master basic movements including running, jumping, throwing and catching, as well as developing balance, agility and co-ordination, and begin to apply these in a range of activities.
- To understand how to participate in team games, developing simple tactics for attacking and defending when playing bench ball.
- To be able to develop balance, agility and co-ordination when playing volleyball.
- To be able to use space to move safely around others.
- To be able to use a racket safely to send and receive a ball when playing tennis.
- To be able to develop balance, agility and co-ordination when playing hockey.
- To be able to participate in team games.
- To be able to perform basic actions using different body parts.
- To be able to hit a target with a ball.
- Children to practice for sports day.
- To be able to learn about the different races involved in sports day.
- To be able to throw a javelin using the correct technique.
- To be able to throw a javelin with a run up.
- To be able to gain knowledge of basic Jumping actions. Standing long jump and long jump with a run up.
- To be able to gain basic knowledge of take-off and landing in long jump.
- To be able to apply correct technique when throwing a tennis ball/bean bag.
- Children will also learn how to measure and record their distances using a tape measure.
Acquiring and developing skills
- Can they copy actions?
- Can they repeat actions and skills?
- Can they move with control and care?
Evaluating and improving
- Can they talk about what they have done?
- Can they describe what other people did?
Health and Fitness
- Can they describe how their body feels before, during and after an activity?
- Can they move to music?
- Can they copy dance moves?
- Can they perform some dance moves?
- Can they make up a short dance?
- Can they move around the space safely?
- Can they throw underarm?
- Can they roll a piece of equipment?
- Can they hit a ball with a bat?
- Can they move and stop safely?
- Can they catch with both hands?
- Can they throw in different ways?
- Can they kick in different ways?
- Can they make their body tense, relaxed, curled and stretched?
- Can they control their body when travelling?
- Can they control their body when balancing?
- Can they copy sequences and repeat them?
- Can they roll in different ways?
- Can they travel in different ways?
- Can they balance in different ways?
- Can they climb safely?
- Can they stretch in different ways?
- Can they curl in different ways?