Off with her head!
Year 5 - Spring 2
This page explains what your child will be learning this half-term as their main project in class. Please use the menu at the side to view objectives for additional objectives for the stand-alone subjects (Mathematics, Physical Education, Computing, Music, Languages, PSHCE and Religious Education) and for our extended curriculum.
Let’s travel back in time to meet the terrifying Tudors. During this half term, we’ll meet a very important figure from history who will give us a problem to solve. Online research will help us to write biographies about influential people of the period, and we’ll use source materials to create a Tudor timeline. Tudor portraits will provide us with the inspiration to create royal paintings. Our geography skills will help us to compare maps of Tudor London to present day London and plot Anne Boleyn’s journey to her execution. Internet research will help us learn more about Henry’s life, his marriages and his break from the Roman Catholic church.
❇ MEMORABLE MOMENT
Visit Ordsall Hall
🏁 BIG FINISH
Parkfield Museum/Curriculum Showcase
👉 DRIVERS & ENHANCERS
The driver subject for this unit of work is History.
The unit will be enhanced through Art and Design.
📖 FOCUS TEXT(S)
The class will be reading Treason by Berlie Doherty.
️✏️ WRITING OPPORTUNITIES
Throughout this unit of work we will be writing historical narratives, biographies, letters and newspaper reports.
🌳 LEARNING OUTSIDE THE CLASSROOM
In this unit of work we will...
Driver Subject: Learning Intentions
- To create an in-depth study of an aspect of British history beyond 1066.
- To describe how the characteristic of a settlement changes as it gets bigger (settlement hierarchy). (Geography)
- To explore and explain how the religious, political, scientific or personal beliefs of a significant individual caused them to behave in a particular way.
- To articulate and organise important information and detailed historical accounts using topic-related vocabulary.
- To analyse and compare a place or places using aerial photographs. atlases and maps. (Geography)
APPROXIMATE LENGTH OF UNIT: 15 hours