Year 5 - Autumn 2
This page explains what your child will be learning this half-term as their main project in class. Please use the menu at the side to view objectives for additional objectives for the stand-alone subjects (Mathematics, Physical Education, Computing, Music, Languages, PSHCE and Religious Education) and for our extended curriculum.
In the Fallen Fields project, your child will start by listening to an audio recording of a soldier leaving for war. Using inspiring illustrations, they'll write diary entries from the perspectives of characters affected by the war. They will delve into the causes of the First World War and produce a newspaper report. Their research skills will help them to find out which countries were the Central Powers, which were the Allied Powers and which were neutral. They will order significant events and decide who were the most influential figures of the First World War. After researching devastating battles, they’ll write short stories from the viewpoints of British soldiers. They will read wartime poetry and examine artwork to pick out evocative imagery and thought-provoking themes. They will also analyse wartime propaganda and reflect on the significance of poppies.
❇ MEMORABLE MOMENT
Listen to the 'Leaving for war' audio/ visit the Cenotaph
🏁 BIG FINISH
Fallen fields Quiz
👉 DRIVERS & ENHANCERS
The driver subject for this unit of work is History.
The unit will be enhanced through Art and Design / Design Technology.
📖 FOCUS TEXT(S)
The class will be reading War Horse by Michael Morpurgo.
️✏️ WRITING OPPORTUNITIES
Throughout this unit of work we will be writing stories from a British soldier's viewpoint, newspaper reports and poetry.
🌳 LEARNING OUTSIDE THE CLASSROOM
In this unit of work we will
Driver Subject: Learning Intentions
- To create an in-depth study of an aspect of British history beyond 1066.
- To analyse and compare a place, or places, using aerial photographs. atlases and maps.
- To retrieve, record and present a range of information from fiction and non-fiction texts. (Reading)
- To read, discuss and enjoy a wide range of fiction, poetry, plays, non-fiction and reference books or textbooks with enthusiasm and understanding, in a range of contexts. (Reading)
- To discuss the writer’s use of language, structure and presentation in a range of texts, and how these contribute to meaning and effect. (Reading)
- To create an online collaborative project for a specific purpose, sharing documents and appropriately setting permissions for other group members. (Computing)
- To present opinions, points of view and arguments related to a topic or debate. (Spoken Language)
- To give clear, concise descriptions, explanations and narratives in different contexts. (Spoken Language)
APPROXIMATE LENGTH OF UNIT: 12 hours
Knowledge, Skills and Understanding
- Work in progress...
Enhancer Subjects: Learning Intentions
- To review and revisit ideas and sketches to improve and develop ideas. (Art & Design)
- To select and combine materials with precision. (D&T)
APPROXIMATE LENGTH OF ENHANCER UNIT: 8 hours