Year 2 - Spring 2
This page explains what your child will be learning this half-term as their main project in class. Please use the menu at the side to view objectives for additional objectives for the stand-alone subjects (Mathematics, Physical Education, Computing, Music, Languages, PSHCE and Religious Education) and for our extended curriculum.
The Scented Garden
Let’s tiptoe through the tulips together and discover the sights, sounds and smells of the garden.
This half term, we’ll visit Tatton Park. We’ll find out how to look after plants, ask the experts questions and appreciate the flowers. We’ll write an information book about plants, follow instructions, enjoy the story of Jack and the Beanstalk and write stories of our own. Discovering our green fingers will be fun when we plant and tend a pizza garden of herbs. We’ll also learn about the different parts of a plant and create our own ‘planting and growing’ action rhyme. Our senses will help us describe and sort a range of smells and we’ll make beautifully scented products. We’ll look closely at a wide variety of plants, create detailed, observational drawings and press real flowers to use in collages.
At the end of our project, we will have become plant experts! We’ll create a presentation about plants, share the information books that we have made and design a fantasy garden.
❇ MEMORABLE MOMENT
We will be going on a fantastic trip to Tatton Park, to discover our Green Fingers! We will have the opportunity to explore the gardens to learn about a variety of plants/flowers and what they need to grow. We will learn how to identify and classify plants, as well as acquiring a range of practical gardening skills, including seed/bulb identification, potting and taking cuttings. Children will leave understanding how to be a good gardener by having learnt how to support the basic needs of plants/flowers in the natural environment and a basic appreciation of sustainability by having made their own biodegradable plant pots.
🏁 BIG FINISH
Reflection time - What have I learnt?
Flowers and herbs have heavenly scents. Using what we know about the amazing smells of flowers and herbs, we’re going to make a gift with a gorgeous fragrance for someone you know who’s very special!
👉 DRIVERS & ENHANCERS
The driver subject for this unit of work is Science.
The unit will be enhanced through Design Technology.
📖 FOCUS TEXT(S)
The class will be reading Jack and the Beanstalk.
️✏️ WRITING OPPORTUNITIES
Throughout this unit of work we will be writing narratives linked to Jack and the Beanstalk. We will write a recount about our trip to Tatton Park. We write a non-chronological report about a favourite flower or plant, including subheadings, key details or questions and beginning to organise the information into sections.
🌳 LEARNING OUTSIDE THE CLASSROOM
In this unit of work we will be planting a 'Pizza Garden'. We will also plant sunflowers and look after our local environment by picking up litter in our school grounds.
Driver Subject: Learning Intentions
- Observe objects, materials, living things and changes over time, sorting and grouping them based on their features and explaining their reasoning.
- Observe and describe how seeds and bulbs change over time as they grow into mature plants.
- Demonstrate that they can share opinions and feelings and explain views through discussions with one other person and the whole class.
- Begin to notice patterns and relationships in their data and explain what they have done and found out using simple scientific language.
- Describe how plants need water, light and a suitable temperature to grow and stay healthy.
- Demonstrate the strategies and skills needed to care for their local, natural and built environments, including conserving energy.
- Describe and compare the human and physical similarities and differences between an area of the UK and a contrasting non-European country.
APPROXIMATE LENGTH OF UNIT: XX hours