Reception (Spring 1)
The following curriculum overview gives you details about what your child will be learning this half term in class. Please look at the links at the bottom of the page to see the different objectives that are being covered across a range of subjects and how you can help your child at home.
In Reception we do a lot of learning through exploration. Each day we have activities planned to develop your child’s knowledge and skills. We try and encourage them to direct the way the topic develops by asking questions that need to be investigated or by demonstrating a particular interest. Your child is encouraged to read, write, count and problem solve on a daily basis through challenges and careful questioning by the staff.
What happens when you fall asleep?
Twinkle, twinkle, little star. Why are there stars in the sky at night? Does everyone go to bed at the same time? It’s time to find out more about night time. This half term, we’ll listen carefully to bedtime stories and nursery rhymes and even have a sleep over! Zzz... Wide awake once more, we’ll learn about people and services that work at night and nocturnal animals. We’ll also find out more about how good bedtime routines can have a positive impact on our health, and take part in a series of bedtime challenges. Ready, steady, brush your teeth! Getting creative, we'll be making a Jackson Pollock style galaxy background and investigate star constellations in our mini planetarium.
- Splatter painting a wall in the classroom-Jackson Pollock style! 🖼️
- Star gazing in a mini planetarium we will make ourselves.
- Having a sleepover in school. (Not over night!)
Class Focus Text 1: Can’t you sleep Little Bear?
- Listen to a story talk about what we have read.
- Talking and listening.
- Write a list.
- Types of stories. Characters. Settings.
Tapestry Task for home
Continuous Provision Enhancements
🖐️ Malleable (Funky Fingers/Playdough)
🚗 👷 Small World and Constuction
🏡 Home Corner
🎨 🎶 Creative Areas (painting, workbench, music...etc)
💦⛱️ Sand and Water
Curriculum Objectives by Subject
Extended Curriculum Objectives
- Our P.E. day is Wednesday.
- Please bring in reading folders every day.
- We will only let your child go home when they have said goodbye to the teacher on the door.
- School water bottles only please.
- A spare set of named clothes please. They do not have to be uniform.
- If your child is poorly please ring school and let the office staff know.
- Any medicines should be taken directly to the office.