Reception (Autumn 1)
The following curriculum overview gives you details about what your child will be learning this half term in class. Please look at the links at the bottom of the page to see the different objectives that are being covered across a range of subjects and how you can help your child at home.
In Reception we do a lot of learning through exploration. Each day we have activities planned to develop your child’s knowledge and skills. We try and encourage them to direct the way the topic develops by asking questions that need to be investigated or by demonstrating a particular interest. Your child is encouraged to read, write, count and problem solve on a daily basis through challenges and careful questioning by the staff.
Do you want to be friends?
Friends are the family you choose! Do you want to be friends? Would you like to play with me? It’s time to find out more about friendship, being kind and working together. This half term, we’ll take a walk around our school to find out about the adults who work there and their workspaces, taking photos as we go. Back in the classroom, we’ll upload and print our photos to compile a ‘Who’s who?’ display of school staff. Working together, we’ll create friendship scenarios using Jelly Babies at the ‘Jelly Babies playground’, and we’ll create a ‘Class jobs board’, allocating responsibilities amongst ourselves. We’ll talk about friendship, being kind and helpful, loneliness, and the things we like. In our literacy lessons we’ll discover new words to describe ourselves comparing similarities and differences between ourselves and others. We will be learning to listen with care to new stories and share our thoughts with each other. In our mathematics lessons, we will compare hand and foot sizes with our friends. Getting creative, we’ll paint our palms to make beautiful patterns to cut out and hang on a class friendship tree.
- Starting school and making new friends.
👩🦰 👧 👱♀️👨🦱👨👲
- Exploring our new school.👀
- Meeting new people who will help us in school👨🔧👨🍳👩💼
- Exploring our new classroom.👀
Class Focus Text 1: My friend Bear by Jez Alborough
Focus-Pictures can tell us information.
- Listen to the story. Discuss feelings of the characters-what makes them friends? Look at what the pictures tell us.
- What makes a good friend?-List of words and pictures.
- Instruction picture cards to follow with a friend.
Class Focus Text 2: A range of non-fiction books
Focus-Pictures and text can tell us information.
- Explore books talking about real things not just telling a story.
- Explore roles of people who help us.
- What have we found out?
Class Focus Text 3: Have you filled a bucket today By Carol McCloud
Focus-Pictures can tell us information.
- Listen to the story. Discuss actions pictured in the book-positive and negative
- How can we be bucket fillers?-List of words and pictures.
- Bucket filler cards verses bucket dipper cards-sort into groups.
Team activities and games
Tapestry Task for home
Take a family photo
Exploring and controlling voice, e.g. loud, quiet.
Introduction to class expectations
Continuous Provision Enhancements
- books on friendships and starting school.
- Variety of mark making resources.
- People who help us pictures to colour and write about.
- letters on people who hold hands to make words.
- Writing our name.
- People number line to 10.
- Maths games to play with a friend.
🖐️ Malleable (Funky Fingers/Playdough)
- Heart cutters
- People cutters
- Salad bar-using tweezers to place salad items in their own bowl.
-squeezing mayonnaise bottle.
-using a fork to eat salad with.
- Writing secret messages using candles.
- Tug of war-exploring similarities and differences between ourselves.
🚗 👷 Small World and Constuction
- People who help us and vehicles.
- Dolls house.
🏡 Home Corner
- Good friend cards as developed by the children in English.
🎨 🎶 Creative Areas (painting, workbench, music...etc)
- Headphones playing music so friends can dance together.
- Paper plates and facial features to stick on-Picasso funny faces.
💦⛱️ Sand and Water
- Sand-diggers and builders
- Water-Hook a duck.
- Using iPad to take photographs of people who help us around school.
Curriculum Objectives by Subject
Extended Curriculum Objectives
- Our P.E. day is Wednesday.
- Please bring in reading folders every day.
- We will only let your child go home when they have said goodbye to the teacher on the door.
- School water bottles only please.
- A spare set of named clothes please. They do not have to be uniform.
- If your child is poorly please ring school and let the office staff know.
- Any medicines should be taken directly to the office.